Thursday, December 11, 2008

Getting Lost in France

Well, not exactly but my ride today took way longer than anticipated. I’m in FreiburgGermany with my girlfriend at the moment, which is pretty close to the French border. The river Rhine actually forms the border between Germany and France here and - big surprise - it is nice and flat, perfect for base miles. Unfortunately, you need bridges to get over a river (at least one as big as theRhine). And exactly this was my problem today. So what basically happened is that I got stuck on the French side for much longer than I had hoped. Actually I knew how far I had to go to get back over but there was a darn strong wind blowing right in my face and I hardly made any progress… Anyways, I finally made it back, just shy of 6 hours and about an hour after the sun had set. Needless to say, it was snowing all day long and being out there in the dark was just plain nasty. Fortunately I came prepared and don’t even take off my back light during winter training, so I was somewhat safe at least.


Anyways, I made it back all right but I am really looking forward to a day off tomorrow and the whole next week for that matter: off week! I guess I’ll be busy anyways with Christmas shopping and all… maybe the bike sounds better after all. 


Oh, by the way, here's the forecast for today and let me tell you, it was pretty accurate.


For those of you non-metric-people: 0°C = 32°F


No comments: