Monday, May 5, 2008

Speedweek is over...

and I finally got to sleep in after we got back to Dallas today morning at around 9 am. I had a great time out there on the east coast but I’m happy that I do not have to race tonight for a change. All the traveling and racing gets really taxing after a while and I think everyone is happy that they get a little break now.

Between all the traveling and racing and staying at funky hotels without internet access, I didn’t really get a chance to update my blog recently, so there’s a lot to be covered. For those of you who don’t have the time or nerves to read through all my ramblings, here’s the latter half of Speedweek in a nutshell:

After Beaufort we traveled to Walterboro, SC. The course was fun but pretty rough. Result: 30th.

Next day: Uptown Greenwood, SC. Wide open and fast. The pack stayed together and a big field approached the line for the sprint: Result: 35th.

Friday: Spartanburg, SC. Crash fest. Made it through all of them alive but got stuck in the last crash in the last turn of the last lap. Still managed to come in 13th.

Saturday: Dilworth, NC. Nice course with a sharp turn onto start/finish and a decent rise to the line. Result: 7th or 8th.

Last one: Sandy Springs, GA. Really cool course, decent rise to the line and a swooping, fast downhill on the back stretch. I attacked early on and we established a six-man break that stayed away to the end. I was a bit too nervous in the break, working just a tad bit too much but still came in 3rd. What a way to end the week! I pretty much accomplished everything I set out to do and more. I finished (nearly) all of the races, got a call-up at the start for the last two races, was in a break, made it onto the podium and finished in the top 10 overall. WOW.

Now I just need to recover and conserve my form for Joe Martin, Tour of Arkansas and Memorial Weekend.

So much for now. More detailed race recaps from Speedweek will follow soon.

No comments: