Thursday, April 10, 2008

Cookies and Ironmen

So here I sit and am barely able to keep my eyes open. I just got back from my training ride for the day and it was a pretty long session in the saddle; so I am pretty toasted right now. The whole week has been pretty taxing, as it is my final week of preparation, so intensity and duration of my training is high right now.

Yesterday evening I did our “Wednesday-Nighter” here in Phoenix: a 45 minute crit in a parking lot. It was really fun, even though the course was very simple (4 cones = 4 corners) but I definitely got my training in. It was racing right from the gun and I kept attacking until we were down to eight guys; in the process of which I also won a prime: The COCKIE-PRIME! I couldn’t have picked a better one (who needs a $5 gift certificate from a bike shop?). I ended up 3rd in the final sprint, which was good too.

This weekend we will host the Arizona Ironman here in Phoenix; as it happens, I rode the bike course as part of my ride today and those people-made-of-metal will have their work cut out for them: it’s a rather flat course but, man, it was windy today and will probably be windy on Sunday. Good luck with that one. Anyways, I ended up playing guide for a bunch of lost triathletes who couldn’t find their way through Tempe to the transition area… Well, I guess even at with events of this magnitude some problems are just the same as with every event, course marking being one of them. I’ll be racing on Sunday but hopefully I’ll be able to catch at least the swim part of the Ironman… No wait, they start at 7 am… Hmm, maybe I’ll rather watch the transition from the swim to the bike…

No comments: