Sunday, April 6, 2008

Good Times, Bad Times... NMBS Style

Good news first: my form seems to be getting better and I am starting to feel stronger on the bike; Pivot Mach 4 is an awesome bike: climbs great, handles super snappy, is nice and stiff and the rear suspension works! Weather was fine too; support from all the guys at Pivot (especially Jason) was tremendous . Thanks again for that.

Result: not so good. I don’t want to whine too much, so I’ll try and keep it short: it started all wrong before the race even began. I was sitting 23rd overall, and, according to the promoter, this should also have been my starting position for the CC race today… was not! I lined up somewhere in the second to last line (i.e. somewhere around 70th place). As the course doesn’t offer too much passing opportunities, that was great of cause. But we didn’t even make it into the single track, as a bunch of guys locked handlebars and went down about 100m into the race. Fortunately, I didn’t go down but got stuck behind the carnage, so that wasn’t too good either. Anyways, after that I started to get in a groove and was working my way through the field (in the process of which I inevitably hit a cactus; I still got some in my little finger on the left hand…) until, halfway through the second lap my rear tire blew out. I know, in an earlier post I complained that the course was too fast and groomed… so that is what I got for that remark. I fixed it but by the time I got going again I had dropped back some 15-10 positions (I had worked my way up into the top 30 before disaster struck). I got back on the bike and started to pick up some of the guys that had just past me when, about a lap later, I found myself standing at the side of the course again, fixing, again, my rear tire… Needless to say, this pretty much ended all my hopes for the day of a good finish. I caught some of the stragglers on my way into the finish but I guess I was pretty far of the back at the end. I couldn’t find any results posted before I left (which was pretty much after everyone else, including the promoter, had left) so I don’t know where I finally came in and how that screwed up my overall ranking at the end of the day…

So there you have it. I just hope that next weekend will be better. To end on a positive note: I didn’t crash and I didn’t get selected for the doping test yesterday, so no harm done there; and, I still had a lot of fun.

There only remains one more thing to say:

METROVOLKSWAGENFIGHTNEVERDIES, so I’ll keep trying!

No comments: